Re: Compressing Datafiles

From: Jim Glockling <jglockli_at_bbn.com>
Date: 2000/04/11

In article <kFJI4.24$my.740_at_burlma1-snr2> jglockli_at_bbn.com (Jim Glockling) writes:
>In article <8cvlpc$u8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com> flowerss_at_my-deja.com writes:

>>Temporarily, can a Datafile be Compressed? Has anyone tried it?
>
>I have a testbed so I just tried the following:
>
> 1. shutdown oracle cleanly
> 2. backed up the smallest .dbf file I had (~10MB)

In retrospect step 2 seemed pretty stupid (not even in ARCHIVELOG mode at them moment). Guess it's a good thing the rest worked!

> 3. gzipped the original.
> 4. gunzipped the original
> 5. restarted oracle
> 6. did a couple of simple queries, checked the alert log.
>
>Seemed okay to me.

The other thing I can add is that these dbf files compress down nicely, the 10MBer went to about 15K (!) with both compress and gzip.

-Jim G. Received on Tue Apr 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT