Basic Oracle8i

From: Jim Lewis <pojpl_at_ais.ucla.edu>
Date: 2000/04/11

After several years working with mainframe DB2, then a few years with Sybase on a Sun, I'm taking a look at Oracle8i running on Linux.

It's running at last, and I'm creating "schema" objects and I haven't yet found answers to a couple of very basic questions.

  1. What is the Oracle functional equivalent to what in DB2 and Sybase is called a "clustering" index?
  2. What is the best practices procedure for creating indexes - - is it best to create them before a table is loaded with data or after?