Re: Can I tune 8i to login faster?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/04/11

blebow_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I am running Oracle 8i on win 2000. When starting up sqlplus on the same
> machine, it takes a good 25-30 seconds to complete the login. The PC is
> not overloaded, has plenty of memory, swap & disk space, etc. Nobody
> else is using this oracle. Anything I can tweak to make startup faster?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> -- Bill
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

That is not normal - it should be less than a second or so...

Check your tnsnames.ora file and ensure that DNS lookups are not taking the time (possibly try just an IP address for the host setting and see what happens).

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse