Re: timezone ?

From: perry <programmer_at_nospam.com>
Date: 2000/04/10

I'm not using OWS (that is Oracle Web Services, right ?)

I'm just using the database itself.

Does all this info to which you've made reference apply only to the output layer in the OWS ?

This (having to specify timezone in OWS) tends to reinforce my suspicion that the Oracle Server doesn't understand timezones....

Chadwick Leung <poleetea_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:38F22DB6.967E172F_at_hotmail.com...
> Perry,
>
> Pls read the following: (that copy from the site
> http://aqueduct.mwd.dst.ca.us:3500/ows-adoc/docs/cart/plaguse.htm)
>
> owa_init Package
> This package contains functions and procedures that initialize the
 cartridge.
> It also provides constants that you override to set the time zone used by
> cookies. Cookies use expiration dates defined in Greenwich Mean Time
 (GMT). If
> you are not on GMT, you can specify your time zone using one of these two
> constants:
>
> If your time zone is recognized by Oracle, you can specify it directly
 using
> dbms_server_timezone. The value for this is a string abbreviation for your
> time zone. See chapter 3 of the Oracle7 Server SQL Reference under "SQL
> Functions" for a list of recognized time zones.
>
> dbms_server_timezone constant varchar2(3) := `PST'
>
> If your time zone is not recognized by Oracle, use dbms_server_gmtdiff to
> specify the offset of your time zone from GMT. Specify a positive number
 if
> your time zone is ahead of GMT, otherwise negative.
>
> dbms_server_gmtdiff constant number := NULL
>
> After making the appropriate changes, you need to reload the package.
>
> OR read the official article at
> http://technet.oracle.com/doc/websvr2x/web21/psqlwt19.htm
>
> Hope I am helpful this time!
>
> Chadwick
>

> perry ¼g¹D¡G
>
> > Chadwick Leung <poleetea_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Oh~, sorry, i misunderstand your question!
> > >
> > > I think Oracle refers to the timezone of the OS, agree?
> > >

> > I don't know, and I can't find any documentation.
> > I'm starting to suspect that Oracle has no concept of local timezone
> > (being as how you must specify the local timezone in the new_time
> > function).
> >
> > Look at it this way.
> >
> > If I enter a time into my server while I'm standing at GMT+6,
> > then pick up the server and walk over to GMT+8, and pull it out,
> > what comes out ?
> >
> > Did Oracle just store the raw time with no timezone, and will it just
> > pull it out directly, so I'll get back what I put in ?
> >
> > Or did Oracle look at the local timezone going in, or coming out, or
 both,
> > and what will I get coming out ?
> >
> > Eg, if Oracle looked at the local timezone going in, and stored it in
 GMT,