Re: Oracle vs. SQL Server - Fail Safe & Replication

From: <tkimnguyen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/10

Hi Kathy,

PeerDirect Replication Engine (PDRE) replicates data seamlessly between Oracle and MSSQL (as well as all other major database platforms: Sybase, Informix, IBM, and many "desktop" databases); this is often termed "heterogeneous replication". Many of our customers use replication for failover capability / redundancy, with the additional benefit of having an up to date copy of the data available for heavy queries, etc., without affecting the online transaction system.

The nice thing about heterogeneous replication is you don't have to switch all of your databases to a single vendor's software; you get to choose the best of breed. For your failover system you can set up a less expensive set of hardware together with less expensive database server software, and yet have both copies (or more than 2 copies if you like) always remain in synch.

You can find out more at www.peerdirect.com (lots of white papers and FAQs on this)

In article <8bor42$64l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   kromano_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello All,
> Could anyone point me to some good references for comparing Fail
 Safing
> and Replication options between Oracle and SQL Server? I'm suddenly
> confronted with determining the cost effects of better redundancy for
> our Oracle system and maybe changing (down grading, as I see it) to
 SQL
> Server 7.
> Thanks,
> Kathy
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Apr 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT