Advice on Database layout

From: <blaney_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/09

Hello!!

I have just installed Oracle 8.0.5 under Intel Solaris 2.7 and am just about to create my first database. I am looking for some advice on tablespace,data layout.

I have 3 8.5Gb SCSI disks and have installed Solaris and Oracle on to the first system disk. The other 2 disks will be available to hold data. I am looking for advice on the best way to use the 2 data disks. I plan to mirror the control files and redo log files on each disk.

Is it good practice to create one big slice of 8.5Gb on each disk and mount each one to say /export/home/oracle/oradata/disk1
and /export/home/oracle/oradata/disk2 and create the data files on these 2 mount points. I will be using 2 application tablespaces of about 6Gb and 3Gb. Shall I put the 6Gb on the first disk and the 3Gb and index tablespace on the second. Is it better to spread the data over the 2 disks ie for the 6Gb tablespace create 2 3Gb datafiles on each disk. Please advice me on the best procedure.

How much of a difference does using raw devices make? Does anyone have experience of using both. I feel the oracle data is easier to manage using cooked file systems rather than raw devices. How much of a performance gain is achieved by using raw devices?

Thanks in advance
Ian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Apr 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT