Re: OLE DB vs ODBC for Oracle

From: Sergei Kuchin <skuchin_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 2000/04/08

> > My 2 cents - Use OLE DB if it works, but using ODBC will probably not
> > impact you in the least. Hard core developers may not agree with me on
> > this however. :-)
>

> ODBC is obsolete.

ODBC 1.0 yes, but the ODBC 3.x specification is recent and pretty much standard, and also called the "Call Level Interface." It's 100% natively supported by IBM DB2's API.

>It was designed long ago. OLE DB (ADO) is 100 time
> faster.

Not true. ODBC 3.x drivers, with bulk interface, work as fast as OLE DB.

> ODBC is also not truely supported by MS anymore.
Not true. in MS SQL Server, they amost gave up on DB-Lib and made ODBC the native database API.

Sergei Received on Sat Apr 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT