Re: Why export has conventional path?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/04/07

The direct export mode reads directly from the database, it doesn't issue ordinary selects.
Hence, it doesn't use the normal read consistency model. I'm not going to bet how many administrators run a direct export on a database with other users connected! Actually, the only way to get a correct full database export is to kick everyone out and make sure the database is in restricted session.
The risk of running an export in direct mode is getting an inconsistent export, if you don't kick everyone out. It is the same as creating a backup, storing the tape in the same room as the server, and never test the recovery scenario. (Don't think this doesn't happen, it does) The second hence is: the export will by design get the characterset of the database, characterset conversions are impossible. You could argue you can always conduct the conversion on import (as there is no direct import), however I have a feeling such conversions are definitely faster upon export.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA