Moving large amounts of data from one Oracle Server to another

From: Bobc <bobchaytor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/04/07

Here is the situation:
There is 10 gb of data on a production server (Oracle 7.3.?.?) that I need to move to a second server on a quarterly basis (Same version of Oracle). Currently this data is bundled up in a full oracle export, sent to the second Unix box, an import is performed and then the quarterly processing takes place on the second box. The whole process from the start of the export to the end of the import is taking 8-10 hours!!! This is way to long. The export processing is taking place on a large parallel siemens box the import is being done on a smaller siemens machine.

Does anyone out there have an suggestions on a different approach to moving this data to the second machine? I am open to any and all ideas. I can only assume, since I have not had a chance to look at the database tuning issues that both databases are well tuned, if you know of any tuning issue specific to import/export I would really like to hear about them.

One requirement of any suggestion is that it can not heavily impact performance on the main production server.

If it is not to much trouble, could you email me directly.

Thanks in advance,
Bob. Received on Fri Apr 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT