Re: ORA-12514

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: 2000/04/07

In ODBC you can give a complete connect descriptor (same as in tnsnames.ora).

There has also been some stupid changes in 8 or 8i that didn't let the old settings to work, I would check docs on service_name

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:51:01 -0400, "programmer" <programmer_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>> SQL> host oerr ora 12514
>
>Doesn't work for me:
>
>SQL> host oerr ora 12514
>The name specified is not recognized as an
>internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>

>> 12514, 00000, "TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in
>> connect descriptor"
>> // *Cause: The SERVICE_NAME in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the
>> listener's tables.
>> // *Action: Check to make sure that the SERVICE_NAME specified is correct.
>> // *Comment: This error will be returned if the database instance has not
>> // registered with the listener; the instance may need to be started.
>
>This doesn't really make sense to me. I can successfully connect with
>the username,password, servicename from plus80.exe, but trying to run
>over the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle, it fails with that ORA-12514 -
>but succeeds if I switch back to system account...
>(and so far everything is consistently repeatable)
>
>Same username,password,servicename works running in plus80...
>
>I don't know how to turn tracing on, but no doubt I can figure it out, and
>see what I see. Thanks for the feedback...
>
>- Perry

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email