Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/04/06

One possible cause of the numeric or value error is that variable that receives the string is not large enough.

For example, the following will generate the 6502 error because the abc variable is not large enough to hold a four character string. Note that the procedure has no trouble being created.

Procedure created.

SQL> exec testerror
BEGIN testerror; END;

*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

ORA-06512: at "PDFWEB.TESTERROR", line 3
ORA-06512: at line 1
-------------------------------------------------------------- end example

The following example shows that a varchar2 out parameter can be as large as 32000:

Procedure created.

SQL> create or replace procedure receivevarchar2   2 is
  3 v varchar2(32100);
  4 begin

  5     largevarchar2(v);
  6     dbms_output.put_line('The size of v is ' || to_char(length(v)));
  7 end;
  8 /

Procedure created.

SQL> exec receivevarchar2
The size of v is 32000

The above was run on NT4 with Oracle 8.1.5.

Frank Hubeny