Re: Checkpoints extreeeemely slow?

From: Geoffrey Bray <gbray1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/06

Sorry, but I can't agree that a 200M redo log is ridiculous. You don't want to be doing checkpoints too often or you take too big of a hit. At 25M we were doing 4 log switches a minute during peak processing so we bumped our logs up to 100M to get to something reasonable.

Geoffrey Bray

In article <954995316.17785.3.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> A redo log of 200M is ridiculous. 20-25M should be sufficient.
> And the disk array: let me guess, RAID-5?
> Means a performance penalty for any write activity, let alone
 sequential
> writes, as RAID-5 has parity checks.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm interpreting these numbers correctly, but they seem
 to be
> > implying that the cause of our performance problems is checkpoints
 that
 are
> > taking upwards of 15 minutes. Is that even possible? One question I
 have
 is if
> > 8.1.6 has a CKPT process running does that necessarily mean it's
 using it?
 The
> > CHECKPOINT_PROCSES parameter seems to be gone in 8i.
> >
> > I've been experimenting with the redo logs, at this point i have the
 least
> > variables I can expect to have: two redo logs on two different
 disks. Each
 is
> > 200Mb, it takes about 20m to switch. The log_checkpoint_timeout is 0
 and
> > log_checkpoint_interval is 999999999.
> >
> > The intent is that checkpoints occur only on log file switches and
 always
 read
> > from the _other_ disk from the current active redo log.
> >
> > What's actually happening is that the checkpoint seems to go on and
 on for
> > about 15 minutes, nearly long enough to bring everything crashing to
 halt as
> > it wraps around and runs into the active redo log. I believe the
 checkpoint is
> > happening because the following query continues to show two values
 with a
> > difference of one for this duration and because when I was dropping
 and
 adding
> > log files I received a 01624 on the not current log file.
> >
> > SQL> select * from v$sysstat where name like 'background
 checkpoints%';

> > STATISTIC# NAME CLASS VALUE

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Apr 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT