Re: UPDATE: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/06

Ken Kinder wrote:

> I've restarted the database several times. Is there anything I should to
> specifically to make sure the database files are intact?
>
> Something tells me it's in the listener, as IPC SQL*Plus seems to work
> though...
>
> In article <8cdfcn$j0e$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <38E96A59.8477D3A3_at_erols.com>,
> > jgitomer_at_erols.com wrote:

 ORA-01033:

 trying

 database
 and
 directly
 on

> > > Have you bounced the database since your restarted it after the
> > > power loss? The ORA-1033 leads me to suspect that Oracle did not
> > > come up cleanly, yeah I know it really should be okay, but when
> > > you get a power loss funny things can happen -- and the message
> > > changing from ORA-1034 to ORA-1033 is suspicious.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jerry Gitomer
> > > Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one
> > >

> > I agree. Any time a database is the subject of a power loss I always
> > shutdown the instance immediate and start it up again, to make certain
> > that everything is running smoothly. I have experienced a number of
> > complications because an instance did not start cleanly, even hanging
> > on a local SQL*Plus connection; after a shutdown and startup the
> > database connections worked without incident. Shut the instance down,
> > and start it up again.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> Ken Kinder
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

        ANALYZE TABLE <table_name> VALIDATE STRUCTURE CASCADE; or just do a full export. Either will validate the existing tables. But I don't think that is your problem. Rebuild both the listener and the TNSnames file on the server. You should be able to find copies of the originals on the system and edit them. (I don't know if it is still so but in the good ol' days we had to be careful to preserve the leading tabs or leading spaces WITHOUT CHANGE when editing one or both of the above -- and you can't see the difference with the naked eye.) If you are running Unix check /etc/services to see if the ports are still assigned to Oracle.

        Sorry, but I am now out of ideas.