Help with Insert Into Select from and Long Column

From: Bruce <bcallen_at_austin.rr.com>
Date: 2000/04/05

I am trying to execute a SQL statement that does an Insert INTO with a Select FROM clause. The problem is one of the columns is a LONG column. The error message from Oracle is "ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype".

The statement looks something like this: INSERT INTO xyz (col1, col2) SELECT col1, col2 FROM xxx WHERE ... and col2 would be type LONG.

I have been able to get around the problem in the past by use a stored procedure and using a cursor to select into and then loop thru the records and INSERT. In this case I want to do this in code and NOT in a stored procedure. I also do not want to have to bring all the data back to the client.

Any ideas are appreciated

Bruce

bcallen_at_lgc.com Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT