Re: Available free memory in SUN

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/05

Ben Kim wrote:

> All,
>
> I maintain Oracle(8.0.5.1) on SUN(2.6) with 6 G of memory. When I checked
> free memory using
> top or vmstat in UNIX, I saw free memory down to approximately 100M when
> sort_area_size is
> only 64K and about 120 users connected to the database. I don't believe we
> are using 5.9G when
> our SGA is about 800M. Or are we really using 5.9G of free memory? The
> database is OLTP
> server. Sometimes, I saw free memory up to 4G when 120 users are connected.
> But I believe
> these are idle users.
> Any ideas as why we are using so much memory?
>
> THANK YOU!!
HI
'free memory' (RAM actually) is used by SOlaris as file cache, so its a bit more fun to get actual free RAM on solaris.

proctool (from www.sunfreeware.com) can help. and theres some stuff on www.sunworld.com that descibes how things work and calculating usages etc.

Martin Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT