Available free memory in SUN

From: Ben Kim <kimben_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 2000/04/04

All,

I maintain Oracle(8.0.5.1) on SUN(2.6) with 6 G of memory. When I checked free memory using
top or vmstat in UNIX, I saw free memory down to approximately 100M when sort_area_size is
only 64K and about 120 users connected to the database. I don't believe we are using 5.9G when
our SGA is about 800M. Or are we really using 5.9G of free memory? The database is OLTP
server. Sometimes, I saw free memory up to 4G when 120 users are connected. But I believe
these are idle users.
Any ideas as why we are using so much memory?

THANK YOU!! Received on Tue Apr 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT