Re: UPDATE: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/04

Ken Kinder wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Overnight (I don't know why), I don't
> know why, but it now returns ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress when connecting over a TCP/IP listener.
>
> I can use sqlplus locally using an IPC listener, and run quieries fine.
> When I try adding the user/pass_at_service part, it gives me ORA-01033:
> ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
>
> This message is also returned from clients on other machines trying to
> connect to the database.
>
> If this helps shed some light on why this is happenning, I would
> appreciate anyone's suggestions. I know the database is running nicely,
> as I can run queries on non-TCP connections.
>
> Thanks BTW.
>
> In article <8c8mpn$b6m$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Ken Kinder <kkinder_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > For some reason, when I connect over TCP/IP listeners, I am getting
> > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > This happened after a reboot. I used dbstart to restart the database
 and
> > restarted the listener as well. I can connect using sqlplus directly
 on
> > the server, and run queries, so I know the database is OK. The problem
> > is then certainly in the listener.
> > Yes, the SID is set correctly.
> > Can anyone give me some direction here?
> > (oracle8i/RH Linux)
> > --
> > Ken Kinder
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >
> --
> Ken Kinder
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

        Have you bounced the database since your restarted it after the power loss? The ORA-1033 leads me to suspect that Oracle did not come up cleanly, yeah I know it really should be okay, but when you get a power loss funny things can happen -- and the message changing from ORA-1034 to ORA-1033 is suspicious.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one