Re: database version control question

From: Tom Zamani <tomz_at_redflex.com.au>
Date: 2000/04/04

Look, there is no clean way of controlling this issue, or I have not managed to find it.
However this is my sugestion which has been working for me.  1- instaul source safe (nothing to do with version control but it helps the developers)
 2- Intoduce the patch into your system

    create two patch directory for each application

        1 -Emergency
        2 -Not Emergency

group all the requested modifications in one week to a patch file or patch directory and give the file or directory a good name like p ||date or something like that.
 when you apply the patch to the development database change the name to applied DEV and date
then move it to production and apply the patch to production and change the name to applied Prod and date

so by looking at the patches at any point of time you would be able to tell what is in production and what is not.

If you found a beter method let me know
Tom