Re: Databases and Instances

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/04/04

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:31:57 GMT,
granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au (Fuzzy) wrote:

>- Complete independent set of data structures (i.e. tablespaces,
>dbspaces) - not tied to any other part of the instance

Yup, it has it. Since V3. 1982. Next?

>- Independent system catalog

Yes. Since V2, if memory doesn't fail me. In fact, it was to the best of my knowledge the first one to do it. Next?

>- Independent set of schemas

You kidding? Since day one.

>- Independent configuration of performance and tuning params

Yes. Start more than one instance with the same shared code. I believe exactly what happens to DB2 too. Not the slightest problem.

>Gee, let me see. Nope, Oracle flunks ALL OF THOSE!!!!!

Nope. Go back to 101, buddy.

> DB2 has them
>all!

Who said it doesn't?

> (Not that I dislike Oracle, or am blind to DB2's problems, just
>making my point).

Yeah, but make sure the point is well made.

>I'm not interested in what they used to do ... we're talking about
>right now. The other DBs I mentioned have it, and Oracle doesn't.

Only DB2 has it. And you know that full well. Not Sybase, not SQL Server. Not now.

>think you'll find that's what I said. I also don't see you arguing my
>point that Oracle won't be able to change this in a hurry.

Why change? It's there!

><mmm ... I haven't had this much fun in ages>

Me neither.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam