An SQL query lasts 60 seconds...

From: pavel_sustr <pXaXvXeXl_sXuXsXtXr_at_geocities.com>
Date: 2000/04/03

Hello,

I'm going to do some research at our customer's. They have a problem - the performance of their Oracle 8.0.5 Server running on RS6000 IBM SP is quite poor. It usually takes about 60 seconds (!) for an SQL query to complete (e. g. from SQL Plus).

I just want to be sure I haven't ommited anything. I'm going to do these things:

---

  1. Verify that they don't use any unwanted logging (listener logs, database logs, session tracing, audits). Check there are no unwanted big files on the server that seem to be growing rapidly and continuously.
  2. Check whether their server is not overloaded - run performance monitor, look at the number of disk I/O, memory status.
  3. Examine their network. Try to tnsping the server, measure the response time.
  4. Create a sample SQL command and measure it's performance (SQL Trace Facility and TKPROF).
  5. Let Oracle explain the execution plan (EXPLAIN PLAN FOR ...).

---

Anny comments on what else I should do? Thanks in advance.

PaShu

--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)