Re: NLS in Oracle 8i

From: Christophe Galerne <christophe_at_tumbleweed.com>
Date: 2000/04/03

Jan wrote:

> Hello,
> I`ve installed in different folders Oracle 8i EE r. 8.1.5 and OEM r. 2.0.4
> on WinNT 4.0 ws.
> I set NLS_LANG to local value (eg. SLOVAK_SLOVAKIA.EE8MSWIN1250) in windows
> registries for each subfolders in folder ORACLE.
> But it works only if I`m using SQL*PLUS. If I`m using SQL*PLUS Worksheet, it
> doesn`t. Also in Instance Manager - the initialization parameters
> NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY are others than ones set in NLS_LANG.
>
> Any idea?

The NLS_LANG parameter is set at instance creation time and CAN'T be changed!!! To find the value for a particular instance you can run this query (as system/manager): select value from nls_database_parameters where parameter='NLS_CHARACTERSET'

The registry settings are used by the clients that connect to the database. I would strongly suggest that you keep the two settings in sync between the db and the clients otherwise Oracle will do the translation on the fly.

HTH,
Christophe

Christophe L. Galerne                                           cgalerne_at_tumbleweed.com
Software Engineer                                                   Tel: (650) 216 2029
"I've been sitting here, just wasting time, drinking, smoking, trying to free my mind."
                                                                            -- Kid Rock