Re: ORA-12514

From: tiny anklet bells <nroshak_at_hcs.harvard.edu>
Date: 2000/04/03

Zorg programmer hath momely rade gribble:

: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
: news:954754856.3238.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
:> 12154 is failed to resolve service name.

: That is true, but I suspect not relevant. I am receiving ORA-12514,
: NOT ORA-12154. (I saw this same response on the web twice - it seems
: to be a popular mistake ?)

We were getting this, for a while. Yes. It's probably popular as a topic because ORA-12514 is not found in the Oracle Error Messages reference.

You can still get the text for the error mesage by loggin in to sql*plus and typing "host oerr ora 12514" This gives:

SQL> host oerr ora 12514
12514, 00000, "TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor"
// *Cause: The SERVICE_NAME in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables.

// *Action: Check to make sure that the SERVICE_NAME specified is correct.
// *Comment: This error will be returned if the database instance has not
// registered with the listener; the instance may need to be started.

: I think this is a permissions/privilege issue ?

Actually, it's a TNS error message. Check your tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Try reloading the listener.

: I can connect successfully using the system account, but I get ORA-12514
: using a non-dba user.

Turn tracing on for the listener and in your sqlnet.ora server and client files. Make one connection as the system, then attempt to connect as a non-dba user. Look through the trace files, try to find the difference, and repost it here if needed....

Also, if you're logging on "as sysdba", you can be connected to an idle instance, etc. so that may be masking what's really a tnsnames.ora problem.

Natalka Roshak

--

Too much coffee I find like amphetamines - you can be
_entirely_ +completely+ and utterly focussed. Just not