Adding Values (not records) via SQL Loader?

From: <wythoff_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/03

Hi people,

   I wish to use SQL Loader to add data into (currently) null columns of a table, not to add new records. The only way that I have been able to figure out how to do this is to load the new data into a scratch table with SQL loader, and then do a subsequent UPDATE/SELECT from the scratch table into the "real" table in SQL.

   Is there a way to do this in one shot, right in SQL Loader, using a SELECT/WHERE statement to pick out the destination records (I have the primary key value also in the input file for SQL Loader)? If so, that would be both simpler in terms of the utility I'm writing, and would perform better, I would expect.

                  Gratefully yours,
                  Barry Wythoff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Apr 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT