Re: Import/export help

From: Andrew Williamson <andrewweb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/03

I've been working on this myself. The easiest way is to do a full database export (with COMPRESS=Y) with the data (for importing) and one without the data (if you want to get the object definitions - I used this to resize my tablespaces as some were a little 'out of order'). Get a good amount of information about tablespace/datafile sizes (you may be able to reorganize a little and this is a good time to do it).

Then, run a CREATE DATABASE script specifying an initial size for SYSTEM tablespace equal to the currrent size. Then, run your catalog, catproc and catexp system scripts. Create rollback segments as per the old system and enable them. Then, if you changed any CREATE TABLESPACE stuff, run those.

Then, go into IMPORT and run your full database import. You may want to up SORT_AREA_SIZE and import with COMMIT=Y (to try and speed things up, and ensure you don't run out of rollback).

Hope this helps. I'm still playing around with db_block_buffers and sort_area_size to work out an optimum and give me a little more insight into how this all works. I left at the database usual size and import took 1.5 days for a 21gb database on a 196mb machine. I increased the params and import took 2.5 days. Hmmm... too much so excessive swapping occurred. DOH!

Andrew