Re: Question on Import with show=y

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/04/02

Alan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I import an export file by using show=... to generate the file
> contains all SQL statements. However, the format of the resulting file
> is not good. I found that the line may be splitted into two lines on
> some keywords. e.g.:
>
> CREATE TABLE CITIES (STATE VARCHAR2(2), CITY VARCHAR2(25), POPULATIO
> N NUMBER(8, 0), WHITE NUMBER(6, 2), BLACK NUMBER(6, 2), HISPANIC NUM
> BER(6, 2), ASIAN NUMBER(6, 2), OTHER NUMBER(6, 2)) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED
> 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 10240 NEXT 10240 MINEXTENTS
> 1 MA
> XEXTENTS 121 PCTINCREASE 50 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE
> COUN
> TRY
>
> Is it possible to generate the file such that the resulting file
> does not split the line into two lines on words?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Two common workarounds

  1. Unix - issues the STRINGS command on an export (with rows=n) to extract the DDL.
  2. Issue an import with indexfile=y, all the (non-index) DDL can then be found in this file commented out with REM. Remove the REM's and voila!

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse