Re: referencing objects

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: 2000/04/01

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> writes:

> ...and the point is (which you seem to have overlooked) that you cannot
> guarantee parse-once-execute-a-zillion-times with public synonyms, since,
> and I quote from my earlier post:

Sure you can, if you only call parse once it's only going to be parsed once :)

Relying on the SQL cache isn't even necessary, for high volume OLTP applications you can just write the code to only prepare the query once and use the same cursor for all requests from there on.

> ----
> The synonym based solutions involve potentially large library cache
> dependency tables, and are sensitive to the aging out of the library cache
> objects representing the table name in the users' own schemas. These library
> cache objects cannot be
> "kept".
> ----
> On a busy oltp system, use of public synonyms makes a discernible and
> considerable difference to performance, for precisely the reasons that you
> elaborated -even if you then went on to ignore them!

I run a high volume OLTP site, we switched to using synonyms and nobody even noticed. Our library cache hit rate is still extremely high.

--
greg