Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Miguel Cruz <spam_at_admin.u.nu>
Date: 2000/04/01

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote:
> As for NT being easier to admin than Unix, that is one of the greatest
> fallacies of this industry. I've done both, and they are equally complex
> to admin and maintain. In some special cases, I'd qualify NTas actually
> harder. GUI doesn't mean simple.

As far as I can tell, the real difference is in how hard it is to think you know what you're doing when you don't. With either NT or Unix you need to know a fair amount about the innards in order to run a tight ship. The difference is that with NT, you don't have to worry so much about knowing secret incantations, so it's easier to poke around through some dialog boxes and think you're a hotshot admin.

SQL Server's veneer of foolproofing invalidates this, up to a point, but after you reach a certain depth, it comes back with a vengeance.

miguel Received on Sat Apr 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CST