Re: New to RAID0+1!!??

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/31

ibm_97_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> RAID0+1 is to strip the tablespace automatically across the different
> physical disks and mirror automatically. Right?
>
> I want to know the details. For example, I have a DATA tablespace. When
> I create this tablespace, do I have to manually create different
> datafiles across the disks. If yes, it violates the 'automaic' idea in
> RAID0. If not, how can I create this tablespace to take advantage of
> RAID0? I mean, home many datafiles and their locations shoud I use?
>
> Same question in RAID1 mirror?
> Any recommendation to choose disk array for solaris? Vendors, modules?
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you create (any) RAID at the OS or hardware level, Oracle will be "unaware" that it is RAID.

For file systems, you would create a datafile in some mounted file system - its the file system (or the volume underneath it) that is spread all over the various disks.

Oracle won't know about it - and thus it won't really matter whether you create 20 files for a tablespace or 1.

(This is somewhat of a simplification)

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse