Re: table or view does not exist

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/03/31

<mattib_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8c2n5b$47p$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi All,
> I'm a newbie to Oracle8 and so hopefully this can be answered easily
> enough.
> I'm having problems simply viewing table contents of table that I
> created.
> Can only connect to using scott/tiger and when I create a table 'test'
> it cannot viewed.
> Using - 'jdbc:oracle:thin:scott/tiger_at_leeds:1521:orc1'
> SQL - 'SELECT * FROM test'
> But the other tables can be viewed ... eg scott.emp
> error message - 'ORA-00942: table or view does not exist '
> Can anyone help me with this... please
> bye
> Matt.

Bit difficult to know exactly. Start from the beginning. In SQLPLUS...

Connect scott/tiger
Select user from dual; (make sure you really are connected as scott) create table newtest( col1 char(5), col2 varchar2(10)); desc newtest;

That should work. If not, try desc scott.newtest

If you get a description, then try:
insert into newtest values('aaa', 'test1');

You should then be able to 'select * from newtest' wth the best of them.

Regards
HJR