Oracle vs MS SQL Server support ?

From: CKraack <ckraack_at_aol.com>
Date: 2000/03/31

My company's database is Oracle 8.

A software package we are looking at requires Microsoft SQL Server 7.

Does anyone have experience with both, and if so here are some questions:

  1. (Assume I buy either a package that uses Oracle or SQLServer, either will have the same DB requirements, that is the package would have a dedicated set of tables sitting on either Oracle or SQL7. The DBA would also have to support other applications on the Oracle Server) If I had a single DBA supporting both database evironments, would it be too confusing ? Would he be overburdened trying to keep track vs having it all on Oracle ? I can see there being additional work in doing routine maintenance to two DB environments.
  2. How does the administration of Oracle compare to SQL Server as far as difficulty & volume ?
  3. (Now the silly question to ask in an Oracle newsgroup...) Which is the prefered environment to work ? For instance if we totally dropped Oracle support and decided to go with SQL7 or vice verse. What are the pros & cons of both.

Thank you very much for any input you can provide.

(please include your title & company in your reply)

Christopher Kraack
Seminole Electric Cooperative, Inc Received on Fri Mar 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CST