Databases and Instances

From: Stefan Jahnke <q5665841_at_bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de>
Date: 2000/03/30

Hi,

I wonder wether it is possible to create one instances, but multiple databases that are accessed via the one instance (on the same server) like it is possible to do with DB2. As I understood, you make an entry in the oratab-file to have a new instance, then connect with svrmgrl as internal to that instance, start it (what actually means, there is a seperated bunch of oracle processes per instance with an SGA). But there is only one DB that can be mounted and opened per instance. The only thing I found is the parrallel server option, but this is the other way around: multiple instances accessing the same database. So, is it possible to have one instance accessing mounting and opening multiple databases ? Perhaps via init-file entries ? I don't want just database links.

TIA
Stefan Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CST