Cost of TO_DATE

From: <primdahl_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/30

Hi. Any of you know how TO_DATE performs? I want to be able to search out a set of data, restricted by date fields.

SELECT * FROM table
WHERE date_A < TO_DATE(..)
AND date_B > TO_DATE(..)

I guess Oracle only performs the TO_DATE operation once and uses the same value
in all comparisons. What kind of index can I make on date fields? If I want top
performance, would I be better off
implementing dates as a tuple of
day int(2), month int(2), year int(4)
or?

Tips'n'tricks appreciated, thanks :)

Morten

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CST