Re: why did this recover scenario fail ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/03/30

From your description you had
enough bits to get going again.
It's always a bit hard to get it right
remotely but:

You didn't need to create a new control
file, as far as Oracle was concerned
you had a crashed database which could
have done a normal crash recovery if
half the datafiles had not been missing.

I think you should have mounted the
database, put the datafiles offline
with the offline drop syntax,

    alter database datafile 'xxx' offline drop; so that Oracle wouldn't try to recover them, opened the database and dropped the
relevant tablespaces including contents.

--

Jonathan Lewis