why did this recover scenario fail ?

From: NeilC <nospam.neilc-olos_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/03/30

Has anyone an explanation of what went wrong with this recovery scenario ?

Oracle 8.0.5 on NT
noarchivelog mode

A small test database that had just been created with 5 tablespaces (system, temp, rbs, data and indx) was populated with data - all ok. Shortly afterwards one of the 2 disks failed. This disk contained the temp and indx tablespace and the second members of a set of 4 redo log groups and the second of two controlfiles. So, I was left with one control file, system, rbs and data tablespaces and 4 redo logs.
As the temp tablespace wasn't needed, and the indx tablespace wasn't needed (indexes could be re-created) I thought I might be able to re-create the controlfile to only include the 4 redo log members, the three tablespaces datafiles and the current control file. So, I mounted the database issued a backup controlfile to trace and recreated the control file - all seemed to be going well. I now thought i'd be able to open the database, reset the redo logs and then go about recreating the temp and indx tablespaces. But, when trying to open the database, it wanted to do media recovery on the system tablespace. I tried an recover database until cancel, but it said that the datafile would still require recovery. So, disappointedly, I gave up, re-created the DB and reloaded my data. What did I do wrong ?

Cheers

Neil Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CST