Re: Any experience converting MSSQL apps to Oracle?

From: Josh Miller <jmiller_at_iterated.com>
Date: 2000/03/30

Ilia Sazonov <ilia_sazonov_at_arktur.ru> wrote in message news:38e300b6_at_news.ptt.ru...
> I would add one more important thing:
> You may have stored procedures returning recordsets (like a common select)
> in MS SQL.
> Oracle does not provide this feature.

Well, that's not entirely true. Oracle supports result sets from stored procedures, it just does it significantly different than MSSQL. Output variables, like ref cursors, must be used to get stored proc result sets.

> Malcontent <malcontent_at_msgto.com> wrote in message
> > > Any gotchas you would like to share?

Not much else, other than learning to admin Oracle is kind of a bitch. Expect several days of reading docs and learning stuff just to get Enterprise Manager installed and working correctly. Migration Workbench is a decent tool to start the conversion, but it won't do everything for you.

My best advice is to use this forum (you can do usenet searches from www.deja.com and find past articles) to find answers.

Good Luck,
Josh Miller