Re: log_block_checksum parameter

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/03/29

From the 8.1 reference manual init.ora parameters: db_block_checksum

If DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM is set to TRUE, DBWn and the direct loader will calculate a checksum and store it in the cache header of every data block when
writing it to disk. Checksums will be verified when a block is read only if this
parameter is TRUE and the last write of the block stored a checksum.

If DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM is set to TRUE, every log block will also be given a checksum before it is written to the current log.

The manuals have always said that checksumming is a significant overhead - but I've never been too convinced of the truth of that.

BTW - I believe that 8.1.6 does this for the SYSTEM tablespace at all times anyway, and as a consequence of a bug in 8.1.5 some databases when migrated from 8.1.5 to 8.1.6 suffer from a checksum failure on startup (and don't).

The benefit of the checksum in the log is that the archiver spots the problem, so you get a message about your archive stream being useless very promptly, and know that its time to take an emergency full backup - not sure quite how a db block checksum will help.

Perhaps T. Kyte can enlighten us ?

--

Jonathan Lewis