Re: TNS 12514 error in RedHat???

From: Jim Lewis <pojpl_at_ais.ucla.edu>
Date: 2000/03/29

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>First of all, your listener.ora is definitely incorrect, as it supports NO
>services, it should support at least one. Did you configure it?
>Using Net Easy will not config the listener, using the Net8 Assistant will.
>Normally you'll need to setup an address list in the listener, one address
>for IPC, and one address for TCP. Also you'll need to setup a list of
>supported sids.
>Secondly, a tnsping only checks the existence of the listener, it doesn't
>try to connect.

>Hth,

>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Thank you for your reply Sybrand. I have used Net8 Assistant, both on the RedHat/Oracle machine and on the NT4.0 client machine.

Here is the listener.ora file that was generated by Net8 Assistant on the RedHat/Oracle box: (I've only changed the HOST address here)

# LISTENER.ORA Configuration
File:/apps/oracle/8i/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/n etwork/admin/listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <IP address>)(PORT = 1521))     (PROTOCOL_STACK =

      (PRESENTATION = TTC)
      (SESSION = NS)

    )
  )

I thought I would only need an ADDRESS entry for TCP. Is that incorrect?

Here is the tnsnames.ora file generated by Net8 Assistant on the RedHat/Oracle box. or8iDB is the global database name for this database:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration
File:/apps/oracle/8i/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/n etwork/admin/tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

or8iDB =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <IP address>(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = or8iDB)
    )
  )

I'm sure I've managed to wedge this somehow. What have I done wrong?     Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST