TNS 12514 error in RedHat???

From: Jim Lewis <pojpl_at_ais.ucla.edu>
Date: 2000/03/29

RedHat 6.1
Oracle8i 8.1.5

Error: TNS12514 : listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

Cause: The SERVICE_NAME in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables.

Action: Check to make sure that the SERVICE_NAME specified is correct.

Well, I've done everything I can to understand this and to properly set the SERVICE_NAME to the global database name of the database we created on our RedHat 6.1 machine.

On the RedHat6.1/Oracle8i server:

        Running lsnrctl status shows: "the listener supports no services"

        tnsping <listener name> gives "OK (10msec)"

But still I get the 12514 error in the RedHat6.1/Oracle8i server listener.log file when I try to connect from a client machine.

What am i doing wrong? This is driving me nuts!     Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST