Re: terabyte+ database requirements

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/03/29

My company is running about 6TB of Oracle, but it is on several serververs. The largest is about 1.5 TB. We are developping an app/system that will be about 8TB of data a year after it is in place.

Our largest disk based server is an HP Unix running against an EMC disk farm, using about 2.4 TB but against multiple instances. We have another that is AIX based to optical WORMS at about 1.5TB.

We have a team of 4 DBAs and 3 sysadmins, but the above systems represent about 10 of our 45 servers. The DBAS support all the servers.

All are single box multi-processor systems with 100-200 simultaneous users. Each has about 1GB of ram, with SGAs in the 400MB range.

The largest NT server we run has about 400GB of data. It loads about 5GB of data a week. We haven't had any overwhelming problems since upgrading to 8.0.5.3.2.1 (or whatever the latest 8.0.5 is).

As was said, break out the checkbook. If you are talking major TBs, then remember disks have a mean-time-before-failure, and you could be facing frequent failures (weekly or better). Some form of raid is a necessity. 4 TB of data would require 100+ 40GB drives, 200+ raided. But that is full drives. Double that again to 400+ to allow for free space, staging areas, etc. (Does the 4TB include rollback and temp spaces?) With a mtbf of 45K hours (5 years), that is about one or two failures a week.

Pay attention to backup and recovery as well. Even with raid, you will need it. Consider O8i with partioning to make sure you can get backups of parts of tables.

Done right, Very large DataBases don't need any extra handling, and in fact can be simpler and easier to manage. Just remember that it takes 10x longer to do anything (as a DBA) on a VLDB. In article <8br5n2$pe1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, jweisen_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Tim,
>
> A couple opinions from my experience:
>
> (1) Stay away from NT (A rule I live by). A close friend of mine works
> for a company with several multi-terabyte Oracle databases, some of
 them
> under NT. They seem to have alot more problems with the NT servers
 than
> the Unix servers. Several of their databases never stop reindexing. I
> will prob get flamed for saying that, but I don't feel NT is up to
 tasks
> that large (we don't even let it serve files here).
> (2) *Lots* of RAM...I mean as much RAM as the system can hold. I would
> consider 2-4 gigs of RAM at minimum.
> (3) Lots of Fast Disks. Go with the magic Oracle configuration, use
 RAID
> 0 or 10 only (avoid RAID 5). We use a Xiotech Magnitude Storage Area
> Network Solution here. We've seen people with Mirrored Magnitudes,
 RAID

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.