Re: ORACLE Instance Manager question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/03/29

Arthur Levin <arthur_at_stario.com> wrote in message news:PXcE4.7$UZ2.1615_at_news.pacbell.net...

> I have oracle 8i under NT machine
> When I tried connect to Oracle remote database using Oracle Enterprise
> manager Instance Manager I couldn't shutdown(startup) database.
> I got error ORA-00106.
> My connection:
> Connection: System
> Password: Manager
> Service: dev1
>
> ORA-00106 Description:
> ORA-00106: cannot startup/shutdown database when connected to a dispatcher
> Cause: An attempt was made to start up or shut down an instance while
> connected to a shared server process via a dispatcher.
> Action: Reconnect to the database using a dedicated server.
>
> How can I connect remotely to Instance Manager and shutdown, startup or
> recover database?

You seem to have configured the multi-threaded server, and you don't seem to have configured the dedicated server, in sqlnet. Usually adding an extra tnsnames.ora entry with the extra keyword (server=dedicated) should be sufficient, but you'll probably need to check out the sqlnet documentation. Startup and shutdown can't be done through mts, you need a dedicated connection for that.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST