Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Tim Uckun <Malcontent_at_msgto.com>
Date: 2000/03/29

> > "As a final note, when NLS_COMP is set to ANSI, a linguistic index must
> > exist on the column where the linguistic order is desired."
> >

> > This means I have to build a index on every single text field? why isn't
> >

> No you don't have to, you could ;-)

I guess I keyed in on the word MUST in that snip I posted. Rereading the documentation I still think I MUST build an index on the column where the linguistic order is desired. I still don't know if I have to specifically use this index or not.

> If you have to rewrite all/most of your queries in pass through it'll be no problem to add
> the upper function to your varchar's statements...

You are right about everything you said of course and I relize that. Unfortunately in the beginning anyway I will have to let things slide as they are. Even if access is pulling the entire tables over to query the database I will have to take the hit. Little by little though I intend on moving my queries over to the database and writing pl/sql. I just can not stop this database from being used while I upsize it would just kill me. Besides I figure oracle can send the data just as fast as jet can right? Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST