Re: HELP-need gurus-Oracle Support conflicting answers

From: Douglas Cowles <dcowles_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/03/28

You are right, it is in recover mode.. however, I can't shrink anything since the file
is gone.. What I noticed, is that an exact copy of this database which is renamed
with a controlfile set name command, choked this morning. When I removed the
2 references to the file in question, one as a datafile and another as an alter datafile
offline drop, the database came up normally. Is this an option in the original database?

Joe Maloney wrote:

> [...]
> > I then removed the datafile from the os.
> > I then noticed it still showed up in the dictionary as available at
> > 100MB.
> > This scared me. ( I thought it would leave the dictionary)
> > I stopped the backup from running for fear the database would not come
> > up
> > without the datafile.
> > My first call to Oracle support indicated that this was an issue that
> > could cause
> > corruption and that the only way to remove it was to drop and re-
 create
> > the
> > tablespace. This was/is not an option. It would have to go to tape
> > somewhere and would take a lot of involement to accomplish.
> > My second call to Oracle support got a different analyst who said it
> > wouldn't matter
> > at all. The database would know the file was empty and not to worry
> > about it.
> > He told me to shutdown and startup to prove it. He was right. Although
> > the file
> > shows up in a backup controlfile to trace, the database starts up fine
> > without the file
> > there. He again said that it would hang out in the dictionary until
> > some future re-org
> > but would not cause any harm. These answers directly conflict each
> > other.
> > Which representative was right? Clearly the second one was right about
> > the database not being bothered by it.. but getting 2 different
 answers
> > makes me queesy.
> > I have a few fears -
> > 1) Since the dba_data_files view still shows this file as available
 and
> > 100MB even
> > though it is not there, will the tablespace attempt to extend into it
 in
> > the future and
> > cause a nasty error.
> > 2) Although the database appears to be fine for the time being, a copy
> > of the database with the "SET NAME" create controlfile command is used
> > every morning
> > on a different box. Will this work? I will know within 10 hours.
> >
> > This also leaves me with a few questions -
> > 1) Is there no way to remove a datafile safely without re-creating the
> > tablespace?
> > Oracle was pretty stubborn about this, and said yes, essentially, when
> > you create
> > a datafile you are pretty much stuck with it, but I get the impression
> > from the Sever
> > SQL reference manual that the behavior of offline drop has something
> > do with
> > whether the database is in archive log mode or not. I will do some
> > experiments on a
> > test database tomorrow, but would appreciate any feedback anyhow..
> > 2) Is there some sort of clever trick that can be done - like a)
 taking