Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Alexander Penev <penev_at_cska.net>
Date: 2000/03/28

> So what am I going to give up that's going to cause me to kick myself? Also is
> there any way in heaven or hell to cause oracle to treat text (varchar) fields
> in a case insensitive manner? If the latter is possible I will immediately ditch
> sybase.

You can use a trigger on update for every varchar field (select upper(:new.field_name) into :new.field_name from dual;) or if you want to preserve your case sensitive data and ONLY search case insensitive you can use where upper(field_name) like upper'your_serach_string%' To increase performance aou can use the new feature of 8i, function based indexes (create index ...upper(field_name)) Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CST