svrmgrl question

From: Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/28

I'm new to Oracle and have a question. I've installed Oracle 8i on my NT workstation, including Net8. When I type svrmgrl at the command line and try to startup the instance, I get the following messages:

C:\>svrmgrl
Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.5.0.0 - Production (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
SVRMGR> startup;
LCC-00161: Message 161 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=MGR ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
SVRMGR>

Once I start the Oracle instance from the NT services window (GUI), however, svrmgrl works fine. I can shutdown the instance and restart the instance from svrmgrl as much as I want, even after closing the initial window and opening a new one. However, when I stop the Oracle instance from the NT services window once again, svrmgrl returns to its state of not working.
Does anyone have any insight into this phenomenon? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Aaron

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CST