Oracle 8i on Debian - help needed

From: Bill Geddes <geddes_at_col.hp.com>
Date: 2000/03/27

I am attempting to get Oracle 8i installed and running on my Debian GNU Linux server - kernel is 2.2.14, Debian 2.2 (potato).

First problem encountered - JRE (Java Runtime Environment)   Oracle hard-codes /usr/local/bin as the path to jre, whereas the   Debian jdk1.1 package installs it into /usr/lib/jdk1.1/bin/jre.   I symlinked jre to /usr/local/bin, then ran Oracle's runInstall.sh   script - it failed. However, I discovered that if I run this   script passing a phoney (or profane!) argument, it indeed fires   up it's java GUI, and proceeds to allow me to install the   Oracle 8.1.5 server.

  I'm not sure anything works yet, but I do have a bunch of   oracle code installed.

Second problem encountered - building and installing the Oracle DBD driver for perl DBI.
  There were library problems here. Someone from the dbi-users   mailing list sent me a patch to install. That didn't work.   I still get error messages that it cannot find   libclntsh.so.8.0.

Has anyone out there encountered these, or similar problems? Any remedies?

--
Bill Geddes
  bill_geddes_at_agilent.com