Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Malcontent <malcontent_at_msgto.com>
Date: 2000/03/27

Chris Weiss wrote:

> - Sybase lacks many of Oracle's features, and it is not as tunable as
> Oracle.

Hi Chris.
Would you mind going into a little detail about this. I am currently considering sybase 11.0.3 under linux (the free version) to upsize my Access database. It's not that I don't want to pay for a database but it's because it's the only database I have found which does case insensitive collating which makes it compatible with my access application. I have installed oracle 8i on Linux and fiddled with it somewhat and it sure is intimidating but I would like to know what features you think are important that I would be giving up. Here is may current setup.

The database will be running on a single processor (upgradable to 4 processors) dell 6300 server with raid 0 and 512 Meg ram. I am hoping I will be able to install linux on it.
I don't anticipate my database to grow beyond 4 or 5 gigs in the forseeable future.

I will in most likelyhood keep ms-access as a front end.

So what am I going to give up that's going to cause me to kick myself? Also is there any way in heaven or hell to cause oracle to treat text (varchar) fields in a case insensitive manner? If the latter is possible I will immediately ditch sybase. Received on Mon Mar 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CST