Re: Synonym Performance

From: <billmil_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/27

Thanks for the responses, Sybrand and Conor. Good input. I think the "alter session set current schema" approach will work best for us--less administrative overhead in maintaining synonyms for each table, view, sequence, and stored procedure. And a (small) bit quicker access than via a synonym.

As a relative newcomer to Oracle, I was surprised how they enmeshed the concepts of "user" and "schema"; I have *never* seen an application where each person has his/her set of tables. In our situation, I created an application-user-schema-name ("LIN"), but wanted people to access the database through a less-powerful user to prevent accidents. I didn't know the overhead with synonyms.

Thanks again,

bill milbratz
neodesic
chicago IL usa

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CST