Re: New to Oracle

From: James A. Williams <willjamu_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/03/26

"Aaron Sentell" <asentell_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

I am a seasoned DB2 DBA who has been learing Oracle the last year or so in my spare time. My first dealings with Oracle were via the Transparent Gateway for DB2.

RDBMS is RDBMS from the conceptual point of view.

Here is what has been working for me.

I found and Oracle vs. DB2 Comparison article. I began to XREF the two. Concepts the same but they go about doing some things differently. For instance in DB2 RUNSTATS is the same as an Oracle ANALYZE Goto Oracle.com and download Oracle and play with it. Nothing like OJT. Lurk in this news group. I have learned a ton doing this.

Attend classes. I recently had my first Oracle class.

Buy Oracle DBA 101 book. A big help.

If you know an Oracle DBA watch over their shoulder.

Have a good understanding of the platform you are running on. Oracle runs on NT, UNIX, and OS/390 among others I am sure. You can't do anything if you don't know how to use the SHELL.

.