Select on object types stalls my system

From: Christopher Maher <ChristopherMaher_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/03/25

I am running Oracle 8i on an NT box with 128 MB of RAM.

When I run a select on a table containing an abstract object type and ask for all columns to be listed, SQL responds correctly. However, this simple select statement almost cripples my system, even though the table contains only two rows. The system remains extremely slow for the rest of my session until I exit SQL*Plus Worksheet and restart it. Frequently, SQL*Plus Worksheet crashes shortly after running this simple select statement:

select * from TABLENAME;

I have heard that object types demand memory. Is 128 MB of RAM really insufficient? NT Task Manager tells me that my entire 300 MB pagefile.sys gets used up when this system slow-down occurs.

Is there a memory leak happening?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Received on Sat Mar 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CST