Re: Char to Date but column has many different date formats.

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 2000/03/24

tim.mcconechy_at_runtime.dk writes:

> Hi!
> I need to import a character column to a date column
> but the dates or in many different formats:
> Quite difficult because there are many different types of date formats:
>
> I don't think it can be done but maybe some one has a way..

 [snip example]

I'd use perl's DBD::Oracle to do this; if you know perl then it may be worth investigating (well, perl and oracle are great together anyway you cut it, so it's always worth investigating :).

One regular expression per date format would set it right; in fact, you don't even need DBD::Oracle -- just have perl massage the data into a standard DD-MON-YYYY format.

Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai_at_isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink@inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block